Commission Chairman, L.B. Ahrens, Jr. began his first term on the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners January 01, 2007. He was re-elected in Nov 2010, ‘unopposed’, and began a second term on January 01, 2011.
Chairman Ahrens sits on several community boards/organizations in the County, as well as in Metro Atlanta:
- Board Member: Cherokee County Water & Sewer Authority
- Board Member: Cherokee County Board of Health
- Board Member: Vice Chair of the Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC): Executive Committee; Transportation & Air Quality Committee; Regional Transit Committee; Chair of Arts, Culture and Creative Industries Advisory Committee
- Board Member: Metro North Georgia Water Planning District
- Chairman, ACCG – Pension Board of Trustees
- Board Member: ACCG [Association County Commissioners Georgia] Board of Managers
- Regular Attendance: Cherokee County Airport Authority; Development Authority of Cherokee County.
Prior to his election, Mr. Ahrens was an executive with extensive background in the global marketplace providing P & L leadership, brand-building, and strategic direction within the consumer products industry. This included start-ups as well as large operating companies. During his 30-plus year career, he and his family lived in Brazil, Hong Kong, and Europe for about 15 years. Mr. Ahrens worked for such well-known organizations as:
- Senior Vice President International and corporate officer reporting to Chairman and CEO of Rubbermaid, Inc. Wooster, Ohio. Global Volume base grew 70%. Retired in April 1999 following merger with Newell Company. Well-known brands = Rubbermaid, Little Tikes, Graco, Century.
- VF Corporation – Greensboro, North Carolina. President of Europe Jeanswear, President of Asia-Pacific. Well-known apparel brands = LEE jeans, Wrangler, JanSport, Vanity Fair, The North Face, Nautica
Chairman Ahrens graduated from Yale University with a Bachelor of Arts in 1965. He is a graduate of the Thunderbird Graduate School of International Management, and The George Washington University in Washington, DC earning his Masters of Business Administration in International Business ( MBA ) in 1970.
Chairman Ahrens served as an officer in the United States Navy ( 1966-1970 ) and was awarded the Joint Service Commendation Medal ( JSCM ).
Married to Joan for 49 years: four children, four grandchildren.
The Ahrens live on a small horse farm and are active in tennis, horseback riding, and golf. The Chairman played collegiate and club level lacrosse for 37 years, and rugby for 15 years, including as a member of the Brazilian National team.